Thursday, August 21, 2008

Songbird

The bona fide songbird of the bridal caboose is Heather. Have you ever heard Jessye Norman sing? Heather's better. Have you ever heard Beverly Sills sing? Heather is better. Think female Pavarotti. I don't really know any other opera stars off hand, but if you can think of one, Heather's better. Her talents do not stop at singing-- she can also conduct entire choirs. Seriously, the lungs on this young woman are as strong as any Olympic athlete.

In 2005, when Heather and I first became close friends, I sat on her bed with her and her precious daughter A.P. for hours on end dreaming about having a wedding one day. At the time I was doing lots of dating and she was a tireless listener and supporter. Having been happily married for a few years to a wonderful Jewish man, Heather generously offered to help me find my own wonderful partner. One auspicious Saturday afternoon, she signed me up for J-Date. Me, the Irish Catholic school girl with a middle name straight out of the blarney stone and a first name straight out of the manger. Not many women on J-Date named Christie O'Brien. I will never forget how much fun we had trying to answer the questions about whether I kept kosher and whether I kept the sabbath. Because I am a lifelong hater of ham, we decided it was ok to put that I was kosher. Heather is one of the most creative, hilarious, and generous people I have ever known. I admire most her ability to commit and devote herself-- to her art, her family, her dreams. She's a powerhouse of love and loyalty and I thrilled she's on the caboose.

No comments: