Thursday, August 21, 2008

Kreesta Bella


The discerning reader will note a trend among the bridal caboose riders. Lots of artists! So far you have met Joyce and Heather, two extremely accomplished artists, one working on canvas and the other with music. Kindred spirit, Krista Bab-Boo, is another artist in our midst. Krista just finished her graduate degree from Columbia where her final thesis presentation blew me away. It was like Susan Bordo meets Margaret Atwood meets Hilde Bruch meets Cindy Sherman-- but better. Once the Bridled With Joy staff figures out how to put video clips in posts, you will see more of this accomplished artist's work. Screen printing, video, writing, puppetry....these are a few of Krista's favorite things. Incidentally, she is married to an artist, and the creativity and imagination and artistry they brought to their August 2007 wedding set a dauntingly high bar. For example, the program for their ceremony included a shout-out to every single guest in attendance; their invitation included a miniature zine and calendar; and incidentally, their cake was to die for delicious.

But, Krista, let's get back to her. She vaulted onto the bridal caboose as a spiritual sister and trusted fellow traveler. If there is a more ardent spiritual warrior, I have never seen her. I adore Krista because she is so willing to go through whatever it takes to stay in her relationships, her marriage, her journey. If there is someone who knows better how to bring color and honesty to a room, literally and figuratively, then I sure would like to meet her. Krista's greatest gift to me is that she has taught me how to pray and celebrate all the things that come my way-- the things I prayed to encounter and the things I prayed to never have to deal with. This woman can really write a prayer. She's inspiring and creative and loving and hilarious. I adore her. She came with me when I got my henna tattoo way back in 2003-- an assignment from my therapist to get a tattoo on my stomach that said, "I love my breasts." A friend who joins that excursion gets a lifetime pass on the bridal caboose.

No comments: