Thursday, August 28, 2008

Bridal Juke Box

You know how a certain song reminds you of a certain time period or memory? Like I remember hearing Madonna's Borderline for the first time ever at White Water Amusement Park with April and Adrienne McKinney. It must have been 1984. Or the summer that I started graduate school I listened to Lyle Lovett's "I Love Everybody" at least three times per day.

So, nowadays I avoid songs with a break-up or divorce theme. Yes, there are songs about divorce. There's a terrible Sting song about divorce and custody, there's Randy Travis' "Bones," and there a song by Reba about divorced parents dropping off children for the weekend. Horrible. I don't want those songs in my head while I am metamorphosizing (is that the right word?) into a wife.

What I DO want as the soundtrack of my last three months and three days of maidenhood is-- of course-- Dolly Parton's newest album, Backwoods Barbie. I woke up this morning and the lyrics of "Better Get to Livin'" were in my head. When it's time to pick up the pace, I am favoring Beyonce's "Get Me Bodied." If I was a coffee drinker, which I am not, and I was in a position to have to let go of the $5.00 per day Starbucks habit because of a need to penny pinch, I would go through caffeine withdrawal with Beyonce at my side and in my ear. Instead of drinking coffee every morning, I would listen to this song-- it does for me what the internet says caffeine does-- raises my heartbeat, gives me dry mouth and gives me a boost. It's like audio cocaine. It's changing my life. It's on the bridal juke box.

No comments: