Thursday, August 28, 2008

May It Please the Court


I met one of my heroes today. "Met" may be an overstatement, but I was seated at Table 12, a mere 6 feet from the podium where Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave a key note address today. This has nothing obvious to do with our wedding and I won't try to wrench it into the wedding context, but when you see a Supreme Court Justice speak-- the ONLY female Justice currently on the Court-- then, you blog it out as far as I am concerned.

She's so articulate and committed and humble. She didn't offer any antedotes from her own experience, but she told the story of Belva Lockwood, the first woman to argue before the Supreme Court in 1879. She made only one allusion to current law when she mentioned the Ledbetter decision where she wrote a dissent arguing that pay discrimination claims develop over time and, yet again, championed a view that would uphold an interpretation of Title VII that would actually provide remedial relief for victims of discrimination.

What was more amazing to me than the fact that she wore a scrunchy to hold her salt-and-pepper shoulder length hair in a pony tail was her vitality and energy. She makes 75 years old look young. I just two nights ago told Jeff that I needed a goal to strive for in my non-wedding life. I am tired of athletic goals, which may be less compatible with my goal to have a bunch of sets of twins, but something real. A stretch goal. Something that would blow the lid off any previous vision. This goal-search can be put off until after the nuptials, but it's germinating and marinating and working its way into my consciousness.

No comments: