Friday, August 22, 2008

D.SoMo



It's not just because she's as leggy as Cameron Diaz and as tall as Gisele B. that I look up to Debbie. Debbie, though she may be the last living soul that knows it, has a lot to be envious of, including a wonderful marriage to a similarly leggy hunk of a man, a private therapy practice that is about to BURST (her specialies include infertility issues and attachment/commitment challenges), athleticisms, friendships, and beautiful skin and hair to boot. Debbie has been a staunch supporter of the Bridled With Joy staff. She's the first one I call after accidentally spending 500.00 at Nordstrom's on "potential bridal-related clothes/accessories." She's the first to suggest a plan of action on anything from a broken toe nail to a failing career. She can set a boundary and share her lipgloss and open her home and listen to my cries.
Debbie's most special role on the bridal caboose is that she and I can have a fight-- like really, really have a fight, where one of us (ok, usually me) hangs up in fury and rage-- and work it out to come out the other side. I hope she knows how valuable that is to me. She's the first person I fought with when I got engaged, though not the last, and I am not sure I ever officially thanked her for being available for that much of my intense emotion. Without her, I am not sure I could have stayed engaged AND out of jail. Debbie is a strong and courageous woman-- she's got passion and spitfire, as they say in the country. We are lucky to have her in our midst. She's the one who is going to know what to do when the hem of my dress falls out or my hair piece falls off on Wacker Drive.
My favorite memory with Debbie was the Chicago Marathon 2006. It was the edge of Chinatown and I was starting to sweat Gu and contemplate hopping on the el and going home. But, then, around mile 21 Debbie and her Tall Glass of Water stood waiting to NOT ONLY cheer me on, but to run me in the final 5 miles. I have never ever been so happy to see anyone. Those final 5 miles were the best run I have ever had in my life. If memory serves, I was crying most of the way and Debbie, steady as ever, just kept encouraging me to hear the cheers growing louder and louder as we made out way to mile 26.2!
She's like a big sister to me and I am so grateful she's chugging along on the caboose with us.

No comments: