Friday, August 22, 2008

Do-Re-MIMI

The U.S.S. Mimi sailed into my life during Fall 1997. She is undoubtedly the member of the bridal caboose that I think I am most like. It's almost impossible to describe the force of nature that is Mimi! She's so full of love and goodness and hilarity that I have to pinch myself when I am around her because it seems like it must be wrong to have that much fun. Next to my sister, I have known Miss Mimi the longest. She's the kind of friend who sent me a dozen roses when a former, (and now long-forgotten) beau broke up with me. She's competent and sharp-witted and savvy and adorable all at the same time. She's like a cross between Murphy Brown, Lucille Ball, and Shiloh Jolie-Pitt. They come no cuter than Miss Mimi. She's generous enough to make the trek from the western wilds to spend the wedding week with us, leaving her hunky husband and adorable mini-Mimi at home in the Valley.

My favorite memory of Mimi is from Fourth of July 2006 when I was visiting her in the greenness and beauty that is the western valley she calls home. We were at some outdoor concert where the Blind Boys of Alabama (who, frankly are a little creepy) and both of us started dancing and laughing so hard. That was no easy feat for the 4-months pregnant Mimi! I can't describe it. There is a force field of love around us and I think the world of her. Everyone who knows her feels the same way.

No comments: