Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Delta, Delta, Delta, Can I Help Ya, Help Ya, Help Ya?

I finally got a picture from my college roommate, Alice. She's another heroic working mom to the two gorgeous munchkins in the picture. Talk about someone who has seen it all with me! Whoa. When Alice and I met at the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house in 1991 we became best friends right away. Both of us had our hair permed and big, BIG Texas-sized jewelry. We had some fun times "mugging" with fraternity boys, mixing Crown into our diet cokes and maintaining our 4.0 grade point averages! We were no ordinary girls-next-door. And it was harder for me because Alice is a bona fide somnambulist-- I would wake up in our dorm room and she would be sitting on my bed putting on her shoes and talking to me about her BANA exam or taking all the posters off the wall, but she was ASLEEP. One time she walked out of the room and walked down the hall. I am told she still can be found wandering in the night talking about an upcoming exam!

I love Alice for so many reasons! Her brain is totally different than mine-- she's a star accountant who sailed through business school and the CPA exam with nary a snag. She's practical, blunt, honest, loyal and principled. She was the first prototype for what a good partner for me would look like: someone very grounded, emotionally even-keeled, and right-brained. She also took good care of me during some of our zany-bordering-on-dangerous college days.

She will be choosing a reading for our wedding as well! She's not that enthused about the prospect of reading in front of the crowd. I told her she was welcome to sing or do Gregorian chant, but that didn't elevate her enthusiasm level. I know she'll do a great job, because she excels at everything she does. And I don't care how she performs-- I am just happy she's going to be a part of it.

No comments: