Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bitter.Sweet.


Well, we took no prisoners tonight at the bakery that will create our wedding cake! We ended up in a warm embrace, half-intoxicated because the most amazing mocha creme frosting was coursing through our veins. I think I got a cavity from the sweet deliciousness that was the filling tray that Bittersweet served us. We picked a cake and found a fun design that is somewhat reminiscent of our wedding invitations.


Jeff and I were blessed enough to have two bridesmaids join the cake project. These two ladies have a dessert named after them: Angel food cake. It was nice to have company to help us wade through the cake choices: almond, hazelnut, chocolate, vanilla, white, carrot and banana. Then, there were the fillings: Creme brulee, chocolate creme brulee, chocolate mousse, white chocolate mousse, vanilla, passion fruit, lemon, mocha creme. Then, there was the butter cream frosting. I am seriously in need of some insulin. It was all very delicious, but we all agreed that the almond cake was the moistest, the mocha filling was the most divine and the butter cream was a no-brainer.


Jeff and I are not big cake eaters. I have a huge sweet tooth, but he doesn't really. He's the kind of person who can eat half of a dessert and walk away without having to call suicide hotline. He expressed ambivalence about the cake tasting on the way over to Bittersweet.


Joyce is NOT ambivalent about cake. We are super sad that the Silver Surfer could not join us, but he had to take a business trip to Indianapolis. We really needed Joyce's refined pallet and joy for all things cake. She delivered. NO amivalence. Just what we needed.


We think that maybe we should have eaten dinner before our sojourn into cake testing. In fact, I am positive I should have had dinner first. We still ended up with smiles on our faces, which is a small miracle, because ......



Jeff and I had a little tiff on the way to the bakery. It was a new kind of tiff for us. Jeff snapped at me for the first time ever. Ever. Ever. Definitely and hopefully not the last. I am happy that the Mayor of Patience lost it with me today. I kept interrupting him, which is something I am wont to do, and he didn't like it and he let me know. I think doing cake on the heels of Tatiana was maybe a little too much wedding planning for us. We do better when we spread it out. I am happy that Jeff can express his anger at me in my presence. I know it's an affirmation and I am glad it happened. At the time, however, my thoughts were less charitable and humble, but now, after 80 dips of my spoon into pure sugar goodness, I have mellowed. It's not just the sugar....it's a recognition of the messiness of intimacy. I hate it and I love it and I want more and I hope it never happens again and of course it will and maybe next time we'll just stop whatever we are doing and go get some cake.




Pictured above: Jeff only 6 minutes before his first-ever snapping at me on the street for interrupting him. Does he look like a man about to snap?

No comments: