Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mojo


One should never ever underestimate the power of sleep. I have gotten more sleep in the last few days and I have gotten my mojo back. The real turning point was Friday night when J and I had dinner with our two friends JB and Jo, who just got engaged. That dinner was the first time that J and I got to sit down with two other people who are concurrently facing all of the challenges and joys that we are. There is no one who can understand the Chirp China debate better than a couple who similarly trying to keep a lid potential wedding feuds. Since laying out our challenges around the whole wedding planning process, I have felt a lightness and humor that was distinctively missing before. Having downloaded and exposed the root of our philosophically differing viewpoints about money and hosting a wedding, I am now available for the joy and lightness of the experience.

Another big boost came from the arrival of our bed! Now we don't have to sleep in the guest bedroom on the first floor anymore. We have arrived to the master bedroom. And, now we have a king-sized bed. There's lots of space, and I mean a lot of space. Last night when my Beloved was snoring like a pirate, I tried to hit him from where I was laying, but he was too far away. Since my earplugs were closer, I just put those in and went back to sleep. It's astonishing how big a bed can really be. I literally would have to do some major scooting to shove J to his side to curb the snores.

That boost, however, may be canceled out by how tired I am from staying up all hours trying to watch the Olympics. It's killing me! I get roped in to every event, now matter how inscrutable or strange. Last night, I was mesmerized by the trampoline event. I cannot believe it's possible to get a gold medal for trampoline jumping. Pole vaulting even had me in tears. I can't tear myself away once we start watching. I am probably the only person who is glad that Michael Phelps is done. It's not my nature to root for an unambiguous champion. I like underdogs. I like stories that grip my heart and toy with my fragile emotions. It will be hard to top the store of the German gymnast who used to be on the Russian team, but had to move to Germany because she needed treatment for her son's leukemia. (Pictured above: Oksana Chusovitina.) She's 33 years old and won a vaulting medal. And, her son is in remission. How can we go back to watching Project Runway and Top Chef after the Olympic binge? I guess for us we won't because we don't have Bravo anymore, but that's probably the subject of another post.

The mojo is good, a florist has been called, a plan for bridesmaids' jewelry has been made, and shoes have been ordered. Life is good.

I can imagine having a really fun party. I can imagine having a wonderful honeymoon that is both adventurous and relaxing. I can imagine being married to J.

My mojo has made me available for all sorts of miracles!

No comments: