Thursday, October 30, 2008

There's NO Place Like Home

Did I buy these? Yes, I did.

Why? Because, look at it! It's a FABULOUS shoe. I only have 4 more weeks to use being a bride as an excuse to buy slightly superfluous red high heel shoes, so I have to milk it. I am planning on wearing these shoes for the rehearsal dinner where I will also don a gorgeous BCBG dress that is H-O-T. This bride is not ready to give up her sass and sex appeal just because she will be a Mrs.

Nope, it's too soon for the shapeless dresses and comfortable rubber soled shoes to wear while I peruse the gigantic aisles of Costco. I may just wear these very shoes every time I go to Costo during my first year of marriage. I'll do it just to prove a point that will probably end up hurting my feet. But I will look oh so fine eating my Costco frozen yogurt with those snappy, red, rearticulated Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, shoes. I can imagine feminists screwing up their noses in judgment that I would use punitive shoes to "prove" I am sexy. Well, to all of them, I say, "suck it." The whole point of feminism is to wear any shoe you damn well please and I'll be the first to kick these red-hot hotties to the curb when yours truly has a big ass bun in the oven. Or if I get a blister. Or if they grow to bug me with their vivid, joyful redness. Or when I am working a late night at my law firm and want to be in my flip flops. And, yes, I'll be the first to embrace "barefoot and pregnant" when I get knocked up, so long as barefoot includes comfy UGG slippers with the deliciously warm shearling. Til then, I'll kick up my crimson heels and celebrate my life in any heel height that suits my mood.

Speaking of freedom, my efforts to further the broader cause of freedom was thwarted today when I tried to cast my early vote for one Mr. Barack Obama. For the love of Moses, the line for early voting was over 2 hours long! Thank god I am not in a battleground state, or I would have panicked right there in the county building. When I saw all the people crowded into the basement of the building, I felt shivers of pride at seeing our democratic process at work. There were business people, and city workers, college students, and more than one man who appeared to have no teeth and no access to running water or a shower any time during the Bush administration. Everyone appeared to be patiently waiting in the longest line I have ever seen. I would expect a line like that for free Madonna tickets or a chance to have a picture taken with Dr. Phil, but to vote? To participate in the democratic process? It's shocking. For all the ink spilled over all that is wrong with this country, at 69 West Washington in the poorly lit basement, hundreds of people took an extra long lunch hour to cast their votes, which indicates to me, that there is a lot right with the people in this country.

No comments: