Friday, October 10, 2008

Judicial Greatness Presiding


Bridled With Joy is highly in favor of having a day off in the middle of the week to catch one's breath, lunch with friends, and order bridesmaids' gifts. Rejuvenated by the day off I took on Thursday, I approached life today with renewed vigor and stamina. The items on the "to do" list that sounded like items that would one day be very close to the actual wedding, have now been scheduled. Today alone, I scheduled the tasting at our venue, which will be on October 23, 2008. I also called our officiant, the Honorable Milton I. Shadur, Senior District Judge for the Northern District of Illinois, to schedule a time to sit down with him and discuss the particulars of the ceremony. Jeff and I have both drafted the vows we want to say to one another-- and yes, if you want to see me cry have Jeff read them to me again-- and now it's time to sit down with the man that will give the imprimatur of the State of Illinois to our blessed union.
Let us pause for a moment to reflect on the greatness that is Judge Shadur. I had the privilege of working as a judicial law clerk in his chambers during 2006-2007. That is the same period when Jeff and I started dating and also happens to be the point in time where I realized that I am really going to be a lawyer for the foreseeable future. I have never met a smarter man who has accomplished more in his life that Judge Shadur. At 80 plus years young, he still works every single day, including Saturdays. His mind is razor sharp and, even better than that, his heart still beats to its own liberal and compassionate drum. The year I worked for Judge Shadur was the most professionally satisfying and stimulating year of my life. I am overjoyed that he enthusiastically agreed to marry me and Jeff. When I went to his office to ask him officially, he told me he would have to sit down with both of us and find out about our relationship so he can preside over the ceremony with some intimate details about who we are. He also offered some practical advice when he told me, avuncularly, that I should be careful about incorporating red wine into the ceremony because "people get nervous and red wine spilling on a white dress would be unfortunate." He's the most prolific writer on the federal bench today, and my secret heart's desire is to follow in his footsteps. All I need is a photographic memory, a slightly stronger grasp of civil procedure law, and a quadrupuled work ethic.
If you would have told me back then that Judge Shadur would be marrying me and Jeff in November of 2008, I would have probably screamed in your ear and pushed you down an elevator shaft because I would have thought it would be too cruel to tease me like that. I would have felt bad about your injuries, especially that burst eardrum, only when it turned out to all be true!

No comments: