Monday, September 22, 2008

THIS IS NOT CHEERY

I am feeling really sad today. Remember when I went to the place to get my dress altered because my stylish, couture colleague recommended it? Well, she's been a really good source for Chicago wedding information for me at my day job. I learned today that her husband passed away this weekend, and they have been married less than a year. She's younger than I am. We just sat with them at a dinner this past July. It's so totally tragic and wrong and awful that I probably shouldn't even post this blog entry because it's not cheery or chipper or filled with the sunlight of the spirit. I don't know this colleague very well, though I trust her taste implicitly, and she has always been kind and generous towards me. But you know what, even if she was the nastiest person I had ever met, I would still feel sad because experiencing death when you are still a newlywed is too cruel and heartbreaking to even comprehend. What an asshole the universe can be.

The minute I heard about this, I called Jeff. I was feeling sad and panicky, because of all the things I have worried about, I never considered something like that would happen, which is the point because it is shocking and you aren't expecting it. You don't know it's coming. Jeff told me to swing by his office so we could share a mid-morning hug and some gratitude that for today, we are alive and well and able to hug at the office. I told Jeff that I didn't want to marry him if he was going to die, and we sort of reached an impasse at that point in the conversation, because what can he do with that statement?



No comments: