Sunday, September 7, 2008

Stress Doctor

One final word about my first dress fitting. First of all, these lovely ladies above were gracious enough to be held hostage by the Dress Doctor for over 1.75 hours while they kept us waiting while other blonde, hungry-looking brides swooshed by in some seriously insane-looking dresses. I got the name of this alterations place from a co-worker whose style and taste I respect completely. But, we'll keep the focus on the positive. For now.

Rest assured each of these ladies has a big life with many, many things to do-- family and professional obligations. Their stories are theirs to tell, but between term papers, and caring for elderly parents and running homes of their own, they made time to help me lug my dress and try it on for all of 10 minutes for the first round of alterations. That may sound like a complaint, but I was more upset that the Dress Doctor kept these ladies waiting for 1.75 hours for a total of 10 minutes of attention from the seamstress. Also, this little trio of underfed mean looking women came in a full hour after I did, but the Dress Doctor got right to the leader of the pack's dress fitting. Debbie stepped up and inquired about how they got in line ahead of us and the attendant said it was because they are so bitchy they just want to get them out of there.

Nice girls still finishing last. That was a little blow to the bridal caboose's ethic that being nice and kind to those around you is generally a good thing and should be rewarded with service and a response in kind. Sometimes we are a little naive.

Highlights include watching the other brides strut around and perseverate about every little fold and sash, and meeting a bride who just bought my dress at Wedding Belles in Barrington-- big shout outs for Wedding Belles!!!-- and catching some of her enthusiasm for "our" dress. I can't say enough about the Kind Bar that Trish gave me when the room started to spin!

I am so grateful that the dress is now out of my hands. Let's hope that Dress Doctor is better at taking care of the dress and the logistics from here than it was yesterday.







No comments: