Thursday, September 18, 2008

A favorite conversation

Jeff: I talked to Reza's (the restaurant where we are having our rehearsal dinner) and we are finalizing the contract. The question is how do we want to handle alcohol?

Me: What are our choices?

Jeff: Well, we can serve no alcohol at all, serve it for one hour, or serve it for three hours. The cost is about what you would expect for alcohol for about 50 people for three hours. Of the total bill, 1/3 is alcohol.

Me: One third? That much for alcohol? It seems like a lot, especially when you and I don't drink. I feel a little torn because it seems like a lot of money for a feature that we don't participate in but I also don't want to throw a lame party.

Jeff: I hear you. I am torn too. I think we have to either have it the whole time or not have it at all, because serving it for one hour and then cutting it off seems like we are either sending a mixed message or trying not to look cheap.

Me: I think we have to decide who we care about pleasing in this situation. My parents don't really drink so they won't care one way or another. I don't know how your family feels about alcohol being available. Whose opinion do you care about in this situation?

Jeff: Yours.

No comments: