Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Return to Sender with Love

It's funny how it works. You send out an invitation with a response card, and then people return them! I love it. These little cards full of promise and response have changed the way I view our U.S. Postal System.

I have historically been very remiss about checking the mail. So remiss that in my old condo, the doorman would stop me every three weeks to tell me that the mailwoman hated me and prayed for a pox on my head, because the mailbox was so full she couldn't add one more parcel. I endured those rebukes and the disapproving stare from Murray the doorman because I hate getting the mail. Why would I rush to get my electric bill or some third notice about my property taxes? This little quirk in my personality has been hard to justify and Jeff just shakes his head.

But now! Now it's different. Everyday we are getting the response cards from wedding invitees! It's like getting a different piece or pieces of the puzzle everyday. I have been surprised at who are our first responders. I also enjoy the little notes and embellishments that people put on the card. So far my favorite is my brother who RSVP'ed for 2.5 people: Himself, his lovely wife, and their 3-year old and 3-month old.

I also felt joy when I saw Jeff's grandma, 90 plus years young, who promptly returned her card from the sunshine state! We have a very complicated tracking system (or it looks complicated to me because it's in Excel, my mortal enemy) and have already started drafted table assignments. Seriously, people should not have this much power over one evening. It's like voodoo. And I love it. I am pretty sure power looks good on me!

1 comment:

Trish said...

Your analysis of the US mail and receiving your response cards is priceless! I love you and your process.