Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bridal Caboose Meets Habitat for Humanity







One thing Jeff should know about me before we get married, and I think he knows this, is that I lie. A lot. Remember during my early blog posts when one time I said-- and I paraphrase-- "it's not all about me." I think that was probably a lie. There's a lot that's about me, more than I would care to recount here, but I am grateful that this weekend made an honest woman out of me: it was not all about me. In addition to the privilege of crossing the Illinois State line for the political party in Wisconsin-- thanks to the I-pass and good old middle eastern oil-- we got the privilege of helping our friends rehab their house. Jeff and I made our way to Krista and Gene's house to for a little therapeutic home rehabbing this afternoon. I didn't know I would be weilding a hammer and screwdriver this afternoon popping 1950s tile off the kitchen wall, but I did. And I liked it. A lot.
It felt like the best way in the world to make a home: have your friends over to take part in the transformation. I loved how it felt this afternoon to be part of a network of support that actually can actually transform a house, room by room. Krista, Trish and I painted the master suite, while Jeff, Gene and Jay removed sofit and primed the living room walls. We kept talking about how satisfying it felt to see the results of our labor right before our eyes: one minute the room was white, and then it was a soothing gray-blue. I was having fantasies of getting a new career that allowed me more of an opportunity to see results so immediately, although all I could come up with was house painter, and that roller is kind of heavy.
For several years I have felt so blessed to have a group of amazing people in my life whose love and support have literally transformed my life. Had these people not been around during the break-ups, disappointments, work pressures, and Major Life Moments, I wouldn't be upright, or gainfully employed, or a lawyer, or the Christie I am today. It's one thing to know that being part of a loving community can get me through an emotional upheaval, it's another to watch us roll of our sleeves and rehab a house. (Ok, I know Krista and Gene have contractors who did the seriously technical work and I only spent 3 hours there, but I still get to say I rehabbed a hosue.) It's astounding what we do for each other-- throw showers, paint walls, move refrigerators, attend funerals and weddings and graduations, hold the tissues, buy the chocolate, send flowers, give advice, made amends for giving unsolicited advice. It ranges from the intangible, such as saying a prayer or refraining from butting into someone's process, to the tangible, such as removing a ceiling fan or going to the emergency room.
And, it is all from the same engine-- an engine powered on love and a commitment to supporting others and showing up for one another and bringing fresh air and fresh muscles to do what needs to be done. I can't believe I get to do this with my life. I can't believe I get to spend Sunday painting Krista and Gene's bedroom and helping make way for their new kitchen. I can't believe I get to listen to Trish talk about her dates and joy as she steps out into Match.com and then I also get to compare spiritual journeys with Gene and steal kisses from Jeff when he's got primer on his head. I love it. And, while I may not be religious these days, I have an overwhelming urge to thank someone for putting me here with these people and giving me a brain and heart that can appreciate how much it means and how wonderful it truly is that it's not all about me. Thank God.

No comments: