Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ski Lift




It sure is hard to concentrate on work or paying bills when your wedding day is about 10 days away. I can hardly believe it. What is it going to feel like? Actually, it might be slightly more uncomfortable that I have ever pictured, thanks to the few pounds I have gained in the last month or so. And yes, that made for an interesting final fitting of the dress. Thank god, Joyce was there to help me rejigger the undergarments so that I can actually wear the same wedding dress. I sure took to heart the whole "I won't diet before my wedding" plan. Actually, I took it to my breasts and my stomach, but you'll just have to take my word for it. We are just hoping to stem the tide a wee bit so that I will be able to both exhale and inhale when in my bridal regalia.

In other news, we got our marriage license today. That was a good experience overall. I tried to take a picture of Jeff when he was conversing about Official State Matters at the license office, but a rather large and burly security guard swooped down and told me that photos are not allowed in the county building. And, I confess I was irritated by that. Don't they know I have a blog? Why can't I take a picture in the Office of Vital Records, when all I am trying to do is make my own vital record? I didn't argue with Mr. Officer of the Marriage License Office, but I have been fighting back in my head all day.

Tomorrow is out last day of work before the festivities, and it just can't come soon enough. There are eyebrows to be waxed, bras to be returned, and honeymoon outfits to coordinate. It's hard to do while also sitting at my desk and "doing my day job."

I have had a touch of insomnia. Last night I was wide awake from 4-5 a.m. I took that opportunity to make a wholesome snack of peanut butter and banana on marbled rye bread (um, why in the world doesn't my dress fit the same?) and think about the days to come. It feels like inching my way up a mountain on a ski lift, and I can see the little station where I will be expected to ski off to the right and then head down the slope (green slopes, please, hold the moguls). You spend so long waiting in line to get on the ski lift and then to ride the lift, which has spectacular views of the mountains and the skiiers down below-- and then, you reach the stopping point, you ski off and you are down the mountain in about 7.5 minutes. I was imagining that is how this wedding week will feel. We stood in line and got on the lift, which is like the start of the engagement. We've been edging our way up the mountain, holding our poles and trying not to kick our skis off. Now, the ride will go quickly. Thanksgiving, rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, bridal beauty binge, and then the ceremony. One, two, three, it will be over. I don't think the fact that it will be over is a bad thing. It's just how it is.

Luckily, Jeff and I have given some thought to our next adventures and what hobbies we will immerse ourselves in once we no longer have a wedding to plan. I am considering working on having a more "green" lifestyle and learning all about the science and art of making peppermint candies, the red and white kind that you are lucky to get after a garlicky meal at a restaurant. I think Jeff will make deeper forays into wood working. I am hoping he will carve my image into a big hunk of redwood. I hope to make it to 200 friends on Facebook by March 2009. It's going to be a seriously busy 2009!

But, let's not jump ahead of ourselves. There are 10 more days. Oops, I think it's actually 9 more days. Here's to calm and peace and light snow flurries before our descent down the mountain!

No comments: