Sunday, November 9, 2008

Moving Day

Yesterday we packed up what was left of the princess patch and said good by to the now-empty goodness of my bachelorette pad in River North. Luckily, in this crappy market I had a long time to get used to the idea of not owning that little corner of the city and yesterday I only shed a few tears, and those were mostly because I forgot to pack a little snack and I got hungry watching our movers work really strenuously for about 3 hours. Now that the condo is empty I don't feel the same emotional pull or attachment to it, which makes me think that maybe the attachment was to my expression of myself in the condo. Without my stuff and my imprint, it's truly just 4 walls...and piano that we are trying to sell or give away. The wonders of Craigslist and other websites that matches sellers with owners has yet to work it's magic for the sturdy old Wurlitzer we are trying to unload.
The bedroom formerly known as my princess palace. Now, just walls and carpet and imprints were my bed and dresser used to be.

Once we got all of my stuff to the new house, I think I did my first ever bona fide nesting. I spent the afternoon (after my two-hour nap), cleaning out the closet, the dresser drawers, and putting unmistakable Christie touches in the yellow room we painted back in September. I was en fuego-- I put furniture pads on the bottom of night stands and put new books on the bookshelves. I even did a non-emergency load of laundry. It was so domestic I hardly recognized myself. I have never had much tolerance for long period of "home time." I like to GO GO GO. I like to work out, and see friends, and scavanage at T.J. Max. Why would I want to be at home folding socks? But, there is a shift happening so I am going with it.
I also realize that on the days when I work out I deplete myself so fully at spin class or running that there is no energy left. All that energy that could have been spent in my home and making a life or a nest or a really cozy home was squandered away on working out. I have heard of this alleged "middle ground," but I don't really do middle ground and it remains a mirage to me. But, while my back is too sore to really do any hard cardio, I am embracing this time to slow down. Life is the less sweaty lane is pleasant and full of richness inside my own four walls.
Perhaps the biggest challenge of all will be when my back stops hurting and I can get to the gym, will I be able to have a medium speed for all of this-- the domestic and the cardio? Stay tuned.


No comments: