Tuesday, November 4, 2008

BaRock the Vote!

There are so few things in life worth missing sleep over, especially during the week. But voting made the cut, so we got up at 5:30 a.m. and went to Moos Elementary School to vote. There was a lot of energy in the crowd for that oh-so-early hour, and I had some uncharitable moments when I was doubting the volunteers' level of competency to run the voting process, but we were back in the car by 6:15 a.m. and now poised to head into work about an hour early.

It feels good to be a citizen! I feel like I own a piece of the mandate that Barack Obama will be officially given in about 12 hours or so. I am taking this opportunity to wax eloquently because I have never voted before. Yes, that's right. Two advanced degrees and exclusively urban living and I have never voted. (I don't count voting for Mike Millardi for prom king, though that was a vote a cast with pride. ) My civic non-voting streak ends today.

I think that today should be a national holiday -- not because I finally got off my ass and took part in my country's hard-earned democratic processes-- but in order for people to get to the polls and then sit in front of CNN all day long. That's what people are doing anyway. Yesterday, I called a junior associate who was doing some work for me, and I could hear NPR in the background talking about the battleground states. He didn't even lower the volume when I called. So much for the authority I have to command respect and attention from young associates!

Anyway, I am going to yoga tonight to help me calm down and relax. It's been two nights in a row of not so much sleeping as staring at the ceiling listening to my lovely groom snore the night away. I decided around 3:30 a.m. this morning that I would take my fitness to the next level by slowing down and working on breathing and slowing my mind. Why not? Hell is already frozen from my visit to the Needle Farm last week so why not a little shivasana on Election night?

No comments: